King Bell (ベル王様, Beru-ōsama) is the father of Zatch Bell and his twin brother, Zeno Bell. He became the King of the Mamodo world in the battle one thousand years ago by defeating Goren of the Stone with Bao Zakeruga. Zatch never had any memories of his father, not even before he had his memory wiped by Zeno. This is because when Zatch was born, King Bell passed the power of "Bao" onto his son, and then sent him to live with a woman named Yuno. Yuno treated Zatch very unfairly, making him do all the household chores and constantly reminding him that he had no family. Meanwhile, Zeno was being trained by his father's most trusted knight, Rajin. He was being trained from the age of three in order to become stronger than Zatch, whom he despised for stealing the power of Baou from him. When Zeno asked his father why he gave Bao to Zatch, and not to him, King Bell responded by saying "Baou is a power that must not be used, wielding such an overwhelming power would only bring ruin." After asking his father "If you used Baou to win the last fight, then isn't it a great power?", he replied "No. It is a terrifying power. You wouldn't be able to handle it." Enraged, Zeno asked his father "Then why did you give Baou to Zatch!?" The king asks his son who told him about Zatch. He told his father that he heard about him from his stepmother; then King Bell fired a tremendous bolt of lightning at his son and warned him never to mention Zatch again. Some fans assume that King Bell's reasoning behind giving Zatch Bao instead of Zeno was that with Zatch's kind heart, he was the only one who could hold Bao without awakening it. Whereas if Zeno were to use it his heart would be overtaken by evil.
When Zatch first heard that his father was the King of the Mamodo World, and that he was the one who made Mamodos who didn't want to fight like Kolulu, Tia, and Ponygon fight anyway, he denied it. Zeno told him that it was true, and Kiyo got Zatch to refocus on his fight with his brother by telling him that it didn't matter what kind of a king his father is, as long as he is a better one.
It is known that King Bell is a Lightning-Style mamodo like his two sons. Also, King Bell can use "Baou", which includes Bao Zakeruga and possibly Bao Kurou Disugurugu. Being a Lightning mamodo, it is assumed that he can use most of the spells of both of his sons, including nut not limited to:
- Zakeru (English Dub: Zaker)
- Rashirudo (English Dub: Rashield)
- Jikerudo (English Dub: Jikerdor)
- Zaguruzemu (English Dub: Zagurzem)
- Ganreizu Zakeru (English Dub: Ganreizu Zaker)
- Teozakeru (English Dub: Teozaker)
- Maazu Jikerudon
- Ekuseresu Zakeruga (English Dub: Excelles Zakeruga)
- Raajia Zakeru (English Dub: Raja Zaker)
- Jauro Zakeruga
- Barugirudo Zakeruga (English Dub: Barugido Zakeruga)
- Sorudo Zakeruga (English Dub: Swordo Zakeruga)
- Reedo Dirasu Zakeruga
- Baou Zakeruga (English Dub: Bao Zakeruga)
- Rauzaruku (English Dub: Rauzaruk)
- Baou Kurou Disugurugu
- Jiou Renzu Zakeruga
- Since King Bell has been King of the Mamodo world for a thousand years, it can be assumed that Mamodo lives for much longer than humans.
- In the Japanese version, Zatch has a habit of saying "Unu". Similar to his son, King Bell has a habit of saying "Umu". These are their regal phrases.
- King Bell is more like Zeno, while his wife is more like Zatch.
- While he may possess all the spells that Zatch and Zeno have, he doesn't possess the spells his sons have created on their own, with Zeno's being Jigadirasu Zuri Zakeruga, and Zatch's Shin Beruwan Baou Zakeruga.
- ↑ Chapter 272: This is The Answer, page 6: http://www.mangareader.net/266-25407-6/zatch-bell/chapter-272.html